Wednesday, January 9, 2013

OSTRANENIE


This morning I was reading the blog, Sarah Jane Down the Lane and learned a new word.

Ostranenie


The artistic technique of forcing the audience to see common things in an unfamiliar 

or strange way, in order to enhance perception of the familiar.


What a great word.

Ostranenie led me to my first Valentine project.
...................................

I am a doer.

But, my M O is to do things at the last minute.

I remember one Christmas going out on Christmas Eve morning to buy flannel to make KC a nightgown.

I finished it for her to open Christmas morning.

I always loved making Halloween costumes for the kids, but I usually started about October 28.

So I am very proud of myself tonight.

It is January 9, not February 9, and I have a new creation.


I found the red metal heart in the attic when I was looking for something else.

It began life as a Christmas ornament with jingle bells.

I removed the bells and then asked myself, "okay, now what?"

I used ostranenie.

I decided to look at things in a different way.

What if the metal heart was hanging in an open frame?

I found a package of little Ikea wood frames in the garage.


A dab of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White, a little wire, ribbon and black beads and I was in business.

The beads were to cover the holes where the bells had been attached.


At the last minute I remembered a LOVE key and attached it.


I love the rough texture of the heart.


And, I love that I hung the heart on the outside of the frame.


I am totally inspired to make something tomorrow night, and Friday night, and Saturday...

And, I will challenge myself to look at things differently and use them in unexpected ways

Bring on Valentine's Day - I'll be ready!

.............................

I am linked up at

Jennifer Rizzo - Fabulously Creative Friday

My Romantic Home - Show and Tell Friday

Homespun Happenings - Rustic Restorations Weekend

The Shabby Creek Cottage - Transformation Thursday

Handy Man Crafty Woman - Wicked Awesome Wednesday

Primp - Primp Your Stuff Linky Party

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson - Share Your Cup Thursday

Embracing Change - Creative Inspirations Linky Party

10 comments:

  1. Rock Star! I love it and I love the word ostranenie! It is Inspiring when things come together like that isn't it?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!
    this is a cute little get up ...the key is perfect. I'm thinking of LOVE for February too! hmmm... I bet others will see this and copy you.
    have a great week.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a doer and you done good! :) Love this! So cute...a heart with a key!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great new word and a great way to re-use and gather from what you already have to make something beautiful. I love the you put the heart outside the "box" as it were!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Afternoon Carol, I love the word ostranenie....not that I knew what it meant before you told us. I am going to try this word out on my daughter, who loves words, to see if she has heard of it. I have also written the word down on paper and it's meaning and placed it on my pin board, to remind me to "think outside the box". Like you, I love hearts and I love how you have created something lovely, with items you already had....inspiring. Have a lovely day. Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your "out of the frame" creation. Now you have plenty of time to enjoy it before Valentine's Day.
    Ostranenie...that's a great word for all of us to add to our vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your heart and key!!!! Pinning:) Stop on by http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/search/label/Everybody%20Loves%20Doris%20Roberts
    http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/search/label/DIY%20Dollar%20Hats

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never heard of this word either but I sure like your lovely results! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo! Love that key--it completes it! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that word and love your creation! The key is the frosting on the cake. You did good girl. I like how you think! Thanks for sharing your lovely talent with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete