Sunday, January 13, 2013

HeARTS and CRAFTS


I spent all day recuperating from an allergic reaction to some medication.

I rarely get sick ( 134 sick days accrued ) and I don't like to give in to illness, but today I was leveled.

It gave me time ( when I wasn't sleeping ) to get inspired.

Yesterday I had a bit of play time in the studio, but today was just looking at websites.

To get my act in gear this year, I signed up for 2 different Heart Swaps.

I'm still not sure what to make - I need 1 heart for the Bungalow Bling swap and 5 hearts for the
Cozy Blanket swap.

To add to the challenge, I am on a NO CRAFT SHOPPING January.

I buy materials, put them away, forget where I put them and that's that.

So, for these swaps, I am forcing myself to look through supplies to gather what I need.

First, I came across an old spool I bought in Idaho ( great craft shops in Idaho and Utah ) in 2007 when Steve was taking an art workshop.

I used brown butcher paper, rub-ons and string to write a quote.

 

I found the quote on Pinterest.

I like how it turned out, but it won't be for the swaps - it is going to a friend.


To finish it off I put it in a little white bag I made last summer from leftovers.


I bought about 10 of these tins for $1 each at Big Lots a couple of years ago - and never looked at them again.


I know Valentine colors are red, but Ostranenie means to look at things in different ways so I told myself I could use any colors I want.


I guess they were supposed to be used as photo albums, but I printed quotes on colored paper to make a quote tin.


I chose papers that were a close match to the scalloped blue on the bottom and top of the cannister.


I put love on the first circle inside the can rather than the outside.

I thought that the quote by Mother Teresa would be better on the cannister cover.


I have lots of wire sitting around and found some cute ideas on Pinterest.

I took a rock heart Steve found for me on the beach one day and wrapped it with wire

and bent a little piece of wire into the shape of a heart.


I have no idea where I am going with these things, but it is fun to look for ideas for my Valentine mantel and the swaps.

The canvas with the eyelets they are sitting on is something else I found in my craft cupboard.

The plan is for it to become a L O V E garland.

It is fun to be creating now that I have a little corner I can walk away from without cleaning after each use.

For now, I am sitting by the fire trying to stay warm and looking for ideas.

........................................

I am linked up at

The Farmhouse Porch


Sumo's Sweet Stuff


The Dedicated House



Boogieboard Cottage


Be Different Act Normal


Under the Table and Dreaming


I Heart Nap Time 


Made in a Day




15 comments:

  1. I sure hope you're feeling better soon. Your creative projects are so cute and clever. Don't you love being able to use what you already have. I do the same thing...buy, stash, forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your little valentine gifts and objects! the 'ostranenie' going on in your crafting has caught on with you!
    I like it!
    such creativity in you home. :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you feel better! Yuck! We have all been sick here with that darn flu! Your projects rock! Oh I am so loving the canisters! That is adorable...and I love that bag with the heart!! Amazing that you got all of this done under the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Carol! I am a terrible "fAIRWEATHER" commenter....my apologies for not writing sooner. I am so very honoured to find you linked to my blog and thrilled that you loved Ostranenie, it is a very wonderful word! I am trying to live in THE REAL world and less virtually, that's one of my resolutions...we'll see! Sorry to hear you were unwell, looks like you have hit a purple patch now though! May I wish you and yours a Happy and Healthy 2013 and thanks so much for your kind comment.

    Sarah -x-

    ReplyDelete
  5. These all turned out great! And the best part is that you didn't have to buy anything-smart move!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to make a felt heart garland with all the felt that I bought to make Christmas ornaments. I have all sorts of colors - hearts don't really have to be red or pink, right?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your ideas . . . these are all so fresh and inspiring :) I'm delighted that I found your lovely blog. Come on over and visit, I would be honored to have you follow me back.
    Your newest blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so creative, very sweet ideas! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a sweet note!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came back to say thank you for your kind visit and for following my blog. I feel honored to have you as a follower and I'm looking forward to becoming great blogging friends. I have spent the last 20 minutes going through more of your past posts . . . the more I see, the more I want. I'm like a kid in a candy store.
    Everything you touch, turns to pure gold :)
    Have a lovely week.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many cute ideas from what you have on hand. I love it. I took a peek at your craft corner and it has so many great ideas for storage. I am your newest follower and am off to do a little more nosing around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What cute things and wonderful ideas. We do have the color thing in common. I hope you are feeling better after your allergic reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your spool. Watch out for allergies! I had a life threatening reaction to sulpha antibiotic two years back. Thank goodness my daughter was home and drove me to emergency!!!! I'm allergic to so many things including grains:(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Carol,
    Hope you're feeling better. All your heart projects have inspired me. Been doing nothing but cleaning for the past few days...I am ready to work on a craft...a Valentine's Day craft, yeah! :-) Can't wait. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Hugs,
    ❤Ana

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute projects. I love the spool. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Carol. Love the spool too. Any luck getting the package. Please let me know tonight or in the morning. I need your address as well. I have a package ready to mail to you with some new ones. I hope youare feeling better.

    ReplyDelete