Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Road Trip - Short & Sweet

We left home yesterday at 12:30 p.m. and returned at 5:30 p.m. today.

We made a quick run (6 hours each way) to San Francisco for the night.

KC had asked for some of the furniture we kept in the attic.

Yesterday morning we gathered together all the requested items:


 a blue trunk (which until this week was pink and full of JP's old baseball cards) sitting in the attic

 a little drop leaf table - an old family piece that I love, but just don't have space for

a wine rack

a sailboat which Steve bought at a maritime museum that was selling off all their boats

her old Doc Martens

a beautiful cherry wood rocker that I forgot to photograph

and some odds and ends

We can never just leave the house when we go away because we always hire a sitter to stay with Dorje.

 I have to change the linens, dust and vacuum.

We arrived in San Francisco at 6:30 and only had time to change because KC had made dinner reservations at Maverick.


We caught a cab and left Cow Hollow for a delicious meal in a warm and friendly environment in the Mission.

KC chose the restaurant because she thought the menu fit Steve's style of cooking.

He got some good ideas for fixing rabbit and lamb.

After dinner we walked to Bi-Rite for ice cream (didn't need it, but yum!)

The evening was surprisingly warm - we all wore sweaters and left our coats behind.

We awoke this morning to the sound of rain and heavy wind.

Our plans for a walk to the marina were altered so we did our usual and ate across the street from KC's apartment at Rose's Cafe.




When we were pulling out of our drive, my neighbor, Judy, asked me to bring her a loaf of sourdough bread so I picked this up for her at Rose's after breakfast.



KC lives above 


on the third floor of this building


with great bay windows.

I discovered this little shop next door


and thought I would like to check out the red table


and the white quilt with red, yellow & blue, but the store wasn't open.


That is why the pictures show reflections of cars - I had to take them through the window.

I asked KC if she ever went into the shop.

Her comment was, "I can't figure out what she sells.  It would be like you putting all the things in your house out to sell!"

That must be why I was drawn to the little shop.

I got these photos as we walked for our cab last night, but I took them through windows so they didn't turn out great.


I can't wait to go for my annual Mother's Day visit with KC to look in this shop.


I love all the interesting doors, windows and awnings in San Francisco.


If we had not been on our way to dinner I would have picked up some flowers for KC.

After breakfast, in the rain, we took all the furniture and odd bits out of the car and ran them upstairs to KC's apartment.

Then we headed off to Sports Basement to find ski overalls for Steve for our upcoming ski trip .

We drove through the Presidio and this was our view when we pulled into the parking lot of Sports Basement.


It was a gloomy, rainy day, but the Golden Gate Bridge is still a beautiful sight.

I got a few pics of KC's place and then it was time to leave- we were parked in a 10 minute space!


It doesn't really show, but her apartment has 10 foot ceilings with the most beautiful molding.


This is the ceiling molding in her bedroom.

She just picked up the 17th St. sign at an antique shop on Union Street.


The lighting wasn't great, but I just love her bay window.

She put the drop leaf table at the side of the chair for now until she figures out where all of her new pieces will work best.

My last view as we walked to the car was of the lovely San Francisco architecture.


Quintessential San Francisco - bay windows,


flowers in bloom on the street,


and colorfully painted buildings.

We are home for a total of 36 hours until we take off again - this time for skiing in the Sierras.

Thank goodness for spring break!

2 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call a day trip. Thank you for sharing such beautiful photos and your story. I haven't been to San Francisco (or the US even!) though I'm a great traveller. It's on the list!

    Thank you for sharing your Monet's Garden story with me. How lovely! I've been in winter and summer and really both times it was glorious. Luckily it hasn't rained on my visits.

    I've just put up photos of Biarritz if you'd like to see them - they're pretty stunning.

    Denise

    http://pichetsinparis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can smell the sourdough...... mmmmmmm..... and those clock faces are just begging you to come in and look around.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete