Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Happy House

What's Your Calming Place?

Yesterday I was reading the blog
Fresh Vanilla for C
and she asked, "what is your calming place"?

I responded that it was my workspace.

Today we took our usual morning walk.

We walk 2 miles along the beach every morning before work - from the end of our lane, which dead ends on the ocean, to the jetty.

We talk about our life, dreams, goals (I'm pushing for April in Paris ), problems...

Mostly we marvel at the beauty of our beach, the ever changing sand and how fortunate we are to live where we do.

Dorje at low tide
As we were approaching our house Steve told me a quick story.

Yesterday, he was taking out the trash and a young couple was walking down our lane.

They stopped him and told him that our house was their favorite on the lane.

They call it

The Happy House.


I realized that my calming place is not just my workspace, it is my entire house.

14 years ago, we moved just 1 mile, to the beach.

At the time, it was not a wise move financially.

Everyone thought we were crazy.

We were paying twice the money for half the space of our two story tract house.

Front of the house
It was the BEST move we ever made.

The house brought out Steve's art muse.

He retired from the business world to become a professional artist.

"Front Porch" by Steve Cook   
The house is a tiny little 1928 beach cottage.

We are lovingly making it our own and will probably never finish.

We have made many changes:

 a studio for Steve
knocked out walls
removed carpeting
remodeled the kitchen and bath
a red Dutch door
attic stairs to gain storage

Next up is bartering  - an attic floor for a custom painting.

This summer we will tackle our wood floors.  

Our hidden garden is a favorite oasis on windy beach days.

The previous owners were weekenders so they had planted only succulents.

I am continually searching for the perfect plants for our sandy soil.

Many of the plants were planted by the birds so the garden is a constant surprise.

We may be the smallest house on the lane.

But I wouldn't change a thing.

Our's is such a

Happy House!

2 comments:

  1. so loved reading this blog .....made me smile we too have located right by the sea, do the same walk as you, chat about the same things you have just inspired a blog ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I'm new to blogging so it was exciting to know someone has read my blog.

    I too am a kayaker, but the Pacific coast of California is a bit warmer than the North Sea!

    ReplyDelete