Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A New Rug



Ever since I 'spiffed up' my porch, I have been looking for a little throw rug.

I have the yellow striped rug, but the porch is a high traffic area from the back yard.

I need to wash the rug every other day, so I thought I would pick up a red striped rug and a blue striped rug to switch out with the yellow.

I found this Dash and Albert striped rug on-line.


It is a little more than I want to spend on a throw rug.

While I was looking for a throw rug at Ikea the other day, Steve was home cleaning out his art storage area.

He stretches his own canvases and always has scraps of canvas.

He called to ask me if I had any use for the canvas or whether he should toss it. 

A lightbulb went on.

What if I painted my own rug?

It was a relatively fast project.

The hardest part was fringing the canvas before I painted.


It took a couple of hours to hand pull the threads one by one.

The canvas is so thick that I couldn't pull the threads easily.

I drew lines onto the canvas using the thickness of the yardstick.


I painted the first row holding a ruler down next to the line to keep it straight.


Steve suggested that masking it off would be smarter and I probably should have done that in the first place.

It took me about 15 minutes to actually paint the whole rug.


I need to let it dry, but I couldn't wait to see how it will look.


I am a little disappointed with the shade of yellow, but I am not going to paint over it.

I have plenty of canvas and lots of paint to create more rugs.

I can't wait to paint a red striped rug.

And a blue striped rug.

And maybe one with stars!

The best part of this project is the cost - $0.

.............................................

               

I am linked up at

CSI Project  

Primp for Primp Your Stuff Wednesday

Southern Savvy Style for WOW Us Wednesdays


12 comments:

  1. What a great idea Carol, it looks great.
    I also saw that you got your blue plates at last - I didn't really think that you had given up !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Painting your own rug... how cool is that!!!!! Great job, Carol! Can't wait to see more... maybe one with stars!

    BTW: i've put a translator on my blog ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work and so creative. Could totally change it seasonally. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing, liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. WoW! I love this idea. What a beautiful rug......
    I'm so going to try this.
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant!! Your rug is awesome. What a great idea.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea and it even matches the trim on your door. Free is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carol,
    I love your rug, what a great idea! It must have taken to do those threads. Homemade things are so much nicer.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carol, I just joined you. I love your little rug diy. We have a similar design on a wool blanket, handed down from Grandmother. You did a good job! Please come by, I do some diy, sewing, food, photography...lots of variety, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great project. It looks perfect for that spot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute, cute, cute. Goes perfectly with your colorful home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading your blog the last few minutes and seeing all of your little projects and things you do to make it all spiffy...I'm starting to appreciate your $0 dollar projects!

    I LOVE $0 DOLLAR PROJECTS!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh... P.S.
    I'm also noticing the fondness and affection you have for Steve!
    I'm appreciating that too!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete