Sunday, October 14, 2012

If You're Happy and You Know It...


This morning, I read an article in the Parade Magazine section of my local newspaper about Nate Berkus.

I have to admit, although I am a decorating addict, I did not know anything about him.

I have heard his name, but I don't own a television so I have never seen his show.

I like his suggestion that we should look at how we live instead of subscribing to what he calls outdated notions of how rooms should be used.

My entry is now a sitting room - a great use of the space.

He shared that in a Home Goods survey, only 20 percent of the respondents felt happy with their home decor.

I was surprised that the percentage was so low.

I guess that is because I read so many decorating blogs I think everyone is into their homes.

He talked about how homes have become much more casual than they were 50 years ago.  

My childhood home had a dining room that was only used on special occasions.

In my tiny cottage, I don't have that luxury, but I wouldn't want a room that sat idle.

He advocates mixing both old and new pieces which is definitely my style.

His suggestion is to use 

"a judicious blend of vintage pieces, found objects and personal treasures that have been passed down through family members or acquired during travels, along with new stuff we buy because it's useful and we love or need it."

I definitely subscribe to this type of decorating.

vintage pieces

found objects

shells Steve found on a surf trip to the Maldives

not useful, or needed, but I love primary colors & beach pails

He says, 

"everywhere your eye travels in your home, it should land on something that resonates with you.

I smile each time my eye catches my green & yellow table

I love my collection of hands holding my jewelry

looking into my dining room and entryway is one of my favorite views

He adds,

"I always want objects in my home that have a connection to me or something I've loved.  It's still stuff, but it's stuff that has meaning."

the blue vases were my mother's

the black box from Anthropologie is something I didn't need, but I love

yellow cabinet & checkerboard from my Americana days

It might not be perfect or stylish, but it is filled with "stuff" meaningful to us.

I am glad I fall into the 20% category of people who are happy with their homes.

What about you?
...................................................

9 comments:

  1. I'm in love with your home! ...I think I'm in the 80% or 'Other' category. I'm not currently happy with my home. I'm still working on it.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your cheerful home! And I couldn't agree more with the decorating advice. My home is a major work in progress, but I SO enjoy making the changes! I am in the 20 percent.
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, this could be the best blog I ever visited thi month. Never stop to write something useful dude!.
    Bathroom Remodeling Arlington VA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your colorful cottage! I saw the cover of that Parade but didn't read the article. He had quite a few bloggers that you probably read on his show. But it kind of got away from decorating into fashion and lifestyle and became boring (and subsequently cancelled). Personally I never liked his products that he had at Bed Bath & Beyond - just not my style. But he seems like a really nice genuine kind of person and he used to do great before and after makeovers on Oprah.

    I'm really really ready to downsize and move so right now I'd say I'm about 80% happy with my home just because I'm ready for a major change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in the top 20% I do change things in my home and we have collected too many things that I am trying to reduce over time. However I try to follow William Morris's quote of not having anything in my house that I do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful. That seems to be what you are doing too! Have a great week.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with what he says... I love to surround myself with stuff that have special meaning to me and that put a smile in my heart. I too fall into that 20%...Love your sweet little cottage.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ❤Ana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great insights about our homes. I'm a nester so I love my home even though I'm always tweaking.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carol...great post! I love your home as well...as for me I love my home too! I'm in that 20%...even though I love redecorating it is full of collections that I treasure and love!
    Have a great weekend..see you soon
    xokathee

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful home (and blog) you have made! I love your fresh and light decorating style. I have about exactly the same yellow on my walls and similar vintage treasures, but they're often obscured by kiddie clutter... ;-) I'm so glad you stopped in my blog. I'll be back to yours often!
    hugs,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete