Sunday, May 12, 2013

Tradition and Serendipity



My daughter loves living in San Francisco.

But, she hates that we don't live close enough for  "drop-in" visits.

Four years ago, we started a tradition.

I fly to San Francisco on the Saturday morning before Mother's Day and enjoy breakfast with KC and fly home for dinner with Steve.

This year, KC had a celebration at Santa Clara University for a mentoring program in which she volunteers.

She was busy until noon, so this year, I flew up for lunch and spent the night.

Yesterday, we did some fun and serious shopping for her apartment.

Today we slept in ( I NEVER sleep in) and had a late al fresco brunch at Rose's cafe.


We sat looking at KC's apartment building - her's is the third story bay window.

After brunch, we headed to Corte Madera to shop - Anthropologie, JCrew and a brick and mortar Sundance store.

We really didn't buy much and actually spent more time enjoying the gardens and pathways in the outdoor mall.


I have very bad allergies and for the past 10 years, my sense of smell has been non-existent.


In the past month, for some reason, my sense of smell has returned.


I spent the day taking in the aroma of fresh flowers,


enjoying the sun in my face and visiting with my daughter.

It doesn't get much better than that!

Or so I thought.

As KC and I were walking to the car, I received a text from my cousin saying "Happy Mother's Day - it is a beautiful day in the bay area."

I texted back with "I know, we're in Corte Madera."

With a few more texts back and forth, we realized our flights home were 20 minutes apart and 5 gates away from one another.

After a great 26 hours with my daughter, I got to spend an hour visiting with one of my favorite people.

A little tradition and a little serendipity made for a great weekend.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Find me at

Lavender Garden Cottage - Cottage Style Party

My Romantic Home  - Show and Tell Friday 

24 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to spend time with everyone!
    Those photos are gorgeous - love the bronze Mother duck and ducklings - perfect for Mother's day!!!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great weekend and the flowers are beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a very fun weekend! I would love to see a Sundance store-- love their catalog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to end your weekend. And, how great that your sense of smell has returned. Have a great week. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful Mother's Day celebration you had!! And the flowers are gorgeous. So glad you were able to enjoy their aroma!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that you had such a wonderful Mom's Day Carol. Sounds perfect! Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol,
    What a beautiful trip and week end for you. It could not have gotten any better than that. I love the pictures you took. All so colorful and pretty. I too love the duck and ducklings for Mom's Day!!!!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. You stopped me in my tracks with the brick and mortar Sundance store. Ooooohh! I love their catalogs! How fun! That's great that you got to spend a wonderful weekend (or half of it) with your daughter. Looks like you saw some beautiful sights and had a great time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister lived in San Francisco, San Rafael, and Sausilito during the 60's and wasn't even a hippie. It is so beautiful, and I'm glad you had not only a great day with your daughter, but a good visit with a favorite cousin and then home to your other loved ones.

    Sounds like a great weekend!

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, those flowers are so beautiful! And you had lovely weather as well! Great weekend for you and your daughter! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I spent last weekend with my daughter! It is so hard when they live far from home. We had similar trips a little shopping and good eating. Sounds like you had a perfect 26 hours with your daughter. Have a great week, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you got to visit your daughter and cousin. And I'm glad you get to now stop and smell the roses!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like a perfect day to me! Gorgeous flowers photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't you just love moments like that!!! How wonderful that you were able to be with your daughter and then see your cousin as well!!!! And you shopped at some of my favorite stores! Love your flower shots!!! Funny...we have something in common...I can't smell either!!! My husband will say...can't you smell that poopy diaper and I'm always like NO!!! Maybe that's a good thing at this point in my life but I would sure like to smell the flowers! Your post has given me hope that it may return! A very Happy Mother's Day to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day. Can't believe you fly to & from SF in the same day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First let me say your tradition is wonderful! I love San Francisco. We've only been once but I'd love to go again. I know your daughter treasures those times as much as you do. How neat that you got to see our cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a wonderful tradition. Sounds like a great time with your daughter. Beautiful flowers. Her apt building looks so interesting. So nice you were able to spend time with your cousin, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet tradition! I love it...:) Sounds like you two had a perfect weekend together! I love the photos of the flowers and the sculptures....so pretty! I've never been to San Francisco, but would love to visit there some day! Thanks for sharing...:)

    Blessings, Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun day!! Love this tradition and your ability to fly in and fly out! Makes it all so interesting and inspiring! Love your mosaics.
    Sweet Hugs!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  20. An awesome day for you! I've been to Santa Clara University - the rose gardens are unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely tradition to have created to arrange a special time to spend with your daughter! The flowers look so lovely, it must have been awful to loose your sense of smell.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  22. lovely flowers. I cant wait to get out into my garden. Love the post
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I love those little ducks and the frogs sun bathing. Too cute.
    I'm way behind on my reading and writing. LOL Oh well.

    ReplyDelete