Monday, June 24, 2019

The Paris Apartment


I bought this book decades ago and never imagined that one day we would rent our own Paris apartment.


Too bad the dress form in the master bedroom wasn't wearing a period costume.


When we began traveling with our adult children, we opted to rent houses rather than hotel rooms - it is more economical than multiple hotel rooms and we love the convenience of having the space to spread out.


Once we booked our flight to Paris, our daughter-in-law took on the task of finding a place for us to stay for 10 days. 


Aylin sent us a list of 6 apartments on VRBO to choose from in various areas around the city and we unanimously agreed on one choice due to the location, appearance and amenities.


I was so excited when we turned down our street


 and I spotted the doors - a good omen for someone who lives in a house with a red door.


Once inside the vestibule, we looked out French doors to a courtyard


and another set of doors led us to the stairway.


After a 12 hour plane ride, a 1 hour taxi ride and a 50 pound suitcase, the stairs to the third floor were a challenge.


By day 10, the stairs were a breeze and I never tired of the view out the windows on the landing- I'll admit that I did not carry my now 55 pound suitcase down the stairs.


Gray doors led us into our apartment


Surprisingly, we walked right into the dining room, but I imagine that it was not the dining room in the 1600's when the building was new.


We knew, from the pics on the VRBO website, that our apartment was filled with art and cultural items.


The apartment had a huge living room


filled with art,


amazing windows,


and a fabulous chandelier.


What I loved most were the floors and the detailed moldings around the ceilings of each room.


We did not cook any meals in the kitchen,


but every morning Steve rose earlier than the rest of us, headed out to different pastry shops and always brought back an array of treats.


Heading out of the living room, there was a hallway and on the left there were two small alcoves (one with a day bed another with a spiral staircase) that had been made from one larger room - none of the pics of those rooms turned out. I never climbed the steep spiral staircase to the room Joshua and Aylin used.


At the end of the hallway there were 3 doors with royal blue glass- the door on the right was the shower, the door ahead held a sink and toilet


and the door on the left held a tub.


This lovely pattern was found on everything (including the toilet) in each room - how I would love to have that sweet pattern in our bathroom.


The master bedroom was filled with curiosities


and I never tired of looking at the little treasures.


The mirrors and the chandeliers throughout the house were spectacular.


As lovely as our apartment was, we spent little time there 


because in addition to our various excursions, we walked over 50 miles exploring Paris.


Be forewarned, the next few posts you read will be a visual journal of Paris, Versailles and Giverny.


I'll take you to the Saint Jean de Luz in the Basque region of southern France and a quick pop into Hondarribia, Spain.


Thanks for indulging me - I tried journaling, but my penmanship is abysmal these days due to arthritis so my blog posts will be my French journal.


25 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful experience for you and your family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed this post and would be thrilled if you show us more in the coming days! Traveling with grown children is awesome! I hope to do that in the future! When my daughter lived in Scotland for a year, we flew over and stayed a month with them.
    She and her husband visited Paris! Between the two of you....that’s the way I will visit it! Armchair travel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fantastic is that!!! I am so glad you could do this with your family. It is something none of you will ever forget. I have never been to Paris but always wanted to go. Have a great night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol this is fabulous and you won't bore me with every detail. This apartment is amazing. 50 miles of walking, fantastic.

    Can't wait to see and read more. Indulge away.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you. A dream come true. Really looking forward to what else you have to show us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was just breath taking. What a lovely apartment and sight seeing photos. Have a blessed evening. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful is this apartment! Thank you for sharing it with us. I can't wait to see all your pictures and hear about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been waiting for your Paris posts, Carol, and I hung onto every word of this one! I can't think of anything more romantic (or authentic) than living in a Paris apartment. This is just gorgeous, and it must have been wonderful to come home to after sightseeing all day; not to mention waking up to those fabulous pastries! I consider myself "forewarned" - I can't wait to see all of your upcoming posts! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Carol how fabulous that apartment was. I love everyone of the chandeliers and the moldings were so gorgeous. It was everything you think of when you think about a beautiful Paris apartment. I cannot wait to see more. Glad you had this fabulous trip.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. CAROL! Bonjour ma chère amie! YOU DID IT! And I have missed you greatly. I was just about to email you to ask if you were OK! I know how a long trip (three months for me) to a place like France, where you walk and walk could leave a traveler very fatigued. It's so wonderful to hear about your first impressions and this post is certainly the preface to pages of fond memories. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now THAT's quite the apartment -- and a great neighborhood,too! What a wonderful find. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures in Paris,one of my favorite cities! (My first trip to Paris I had a mega-suitcase AND totebag and tromped up 94 steps every day. My next trip to Paris I did it all with a carry on!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Carol, for sharing these amazing pictures! I look forward to seeing and hearing more about your trip! The apartment was stunning! I love the tiles in the kitchen, and the kitchen was so bright and sunny! I've never been to Paris, but you sure made me want to go. I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carol, thank you for all the photos . . . I will be enjoying your trip through each and every one of them. Boy! When you do a trip, you do it right:) I think blogging is the perfect way to journal. I'm always going back through my blog to remember the dates of when something happened and to see that my life is filled with beautiful memories.
    Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us . . . it's my way of traveling to these wonderful far off lands, that I only dream about.
    I am so happy that you were all able to have this adventure.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your home away from homw is lovely! I love the apartment, and I really love the floors! So typical of Parisian apartments. Thanks for the fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed reading this post of your trip to Paris and that apartment is so gorgeous. I can't wait to read more about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, fabulous...so much nicer than a hotel...just perusing the cabinets had to be an education. LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What fun to stay in such an apartment. I might have a hard time leaving to tour the city!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sure there's not one of us that wouodn't dearly love going here. So glad you had such a lovely time

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a way to travel...and an outstanding apartment!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I am enjoying seeing the great pictures you have shared. What a beautiful apartment. So many interesting things. Lucky you and your family to have such an incredible trip. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely apt. When I went to Paris I stayed in a small apt and LOVED it much more then a hotel. Can't wait to see more of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful time you must have had...and so much memory making with family! Looking forward to seeing more of your fabulous adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is wonderful. I will look forward to reading your journal. What a great start!

    ReplyDelete