Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I Can't Sit Still


I just discovered PicMonkey.

I know I am behind the times, but I still work full time teaching middle school so the fact that I find any time to blog or be creative at all is pretty amazing.

Anyway, back to Pic Monkey.

I began my morning in a hospital waiting room at 5:15 a.m. 

Steve's surgery was scheduled for 7:30 a.m.

At 7:30 a.m. the head of the hospital dropped by.

I have had enough surgeries to know that the head of the hospital doesn't usually drop in on routine surgeries.

He wanted to let us know that someone (not him) had forgotten to order the replacement parts (as if Steve was a vintage car) and they couldn't proceed until they arrived.

And, the parts were coming from Los Angeles.

And, if you know Los Angeles, distance is never given in miles, but in time.

The surgery ended up starting 3 hours late.

I cannot sit still.

So, I played with PicMonkey.

I signed up for the paid version and I wanted to try out some of the features.

First, I created a collage of our front yard which is actually our back yard.

You can read why here.


Next I played with pictures of the back of our house, which in reality is the front of the house.


I wish my garden looked this pretty right now.


And in hunting down pictures, I thought I should show you what the back yard
(which was the front yard in 1928)
looked like when we moved in.


Believe me, had I known that one day I would write a blog, I would have moved the hose and the BBQ before shooting the picture.

The French doors on the left side picture lead to our bedroom then.

 Now, they are  the entrance to Steve's studio and that room is our guest room.


The French doors you see in the photo above are the exterior entrance to the studio we added so Steve would stop dripping oil paint on the floor and furniture.


The one thing I really miss from the yard when we moved in is the boat abloom with flowers.

When we were looking at houses, KC and I called our house "The Boat House" because of that boat.

Unfortunately, it rotted away and the jungle took over its spot.

..................

I still have a lot to learn about PicMonkey.

Steve is out of surgery and doing great.

I don't have to sit still any more.

Unfortunately it will be a few days before Steve is home and many more before he can pick up a paint brush.

Maybe I will let him learn PicMonkey and he can create the collages of the inside of the house.

..................................

You can find me partying at

The Busy Bees

Savvy Southern Style

Lavender Garden Cottage

Vintage on a Dime

Cozy Little House

Fluster Buster

29 comments:

  1. I am glad your husband is doing well. PicMonkey looks like a good way to pass the time. I can't wait for my yard to be pretty again too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You teach middle school too??? Bless you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, maybe I'd better give the paid version a try! I've only made a couple of collages for blog headers with the free version thus far. Glad your husband came through the surgery well -- how annoying about the delay in getting "parts"! I hope his recovery will be smooth and swift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I know what your mean... I'm a teacher and I can only blog after the "real" job is done!
    I also have a house whose back door is a front door!
    I hope Steve will recover soon and may I suggest a bouquet of paint brushes as a "Get Well Soon" present?

    ReplyDelete
  5. FUN pictures...LOVE the pops of color!! Everything is white here now :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol..I have never tried Pic Monkey...Middle School Teachers are special and have to be special...Thank you for your gift of teaching them...I hope Steve is fine...Blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear your husband came through surgery well and that you were able to enjoy yourself while passing the time! Your collages are wonderful.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  8. The collages are so cute! I LOVE Picmonkey!

    I'm having an Advertising Giveaway on my blog! Would love it if you entered. Just go here for all the details: http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/02/free-advertising.html

    Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing a speedy healing to your hubby. Your home is so bright, cheerful and pretty! Looks like you had a lot of fun with your collages. They're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use pic monkey for some of my photos. I'm so photo challenged. I just don't have an eye for photography. My daughter tells me I don't have the right camera for photography...but somehow she can take pictures with a disposable camera and they look FANTASTIC!
    Anyhow...love your place, both your porches and garden areas.

    Glad to hear your hubby is doing well after surgery.
    I sit in the waiting room a lot...I usually take something on the 'hook' and crochet while waiting!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your yard is super gorgeous1 Sounds like you spent your time waiting well. I hope your husbands surgery went as hoped and that he is recovering well.

    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. both backyard and frontyard look great...so no problem about the switch! hope your husband is recovering well

    ReplyDelete
  13. That 3 hour wait had to be hard on your hubby. I hope that he will continue to do well.
    Glad that you kept busy.
    I mailed your second, hah, package on Monday afternoon. Wouldn't it be nice if it arrived tomorrow on St. Patrick's Day. Let's hope.
    I saw that you won a giveaway. Yeah for you.
    Let me know when your package arrives.
    Hoping the week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny, I was just trying out PicMonkey this morning. I heard about from a blogging friend and thought I'd check it out. Pretty neat. So glad to hear all went well with your hubby's surgery.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ❤Ana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear Steve is feeling better!Oh PicMonkey is fun isn't it! I use it on all of my photos!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad Steve is out of surgery! The collages are beautiful. Your house is so colorful and bright! I am craving sunshine and flowers, so thanks for the pick-me-up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad the surgery is done and I hope he has a quick recovery so he can get back to painting! Ok you are not the only one..I have never tried pic monkey but I must say I like those collages! Your house is outstanding! So much color and character! Your garden is beautiful as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad surgery went well. Just heard about pic monkey. I'm going to give a try soon. My mac didn't come with photoshop:( Looks like a nice program:) Happy Valentine's Day!http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/02/hey-girl-valentine-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so happy to hear the surgery went well even though it got off to a late start. Don't you just love PicMonkey? It's just about as addicting as Pinterest. Lovely collages!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just love your picmonkey collages. You've inspired me to get the paid version. The back/front, front/back is all so delightful. Glad all has gone well with the shoulder surgery and I wish him a comfy, cozy recovery. Happy Valentine's Day to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad Steve's surgery went OK. Hope he's home soon and that he will recover quickly. Isn't Picmonkey fun? I don't have the paid version, but it's still fun to fool around with. Your house is beautiful...love all the color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really think you should have moved the hose and bbg before you took pics!!! Ha! Thanks for visiting my blog, my ex sil was a Karen Bates too. I guess there is a lot of us. My maiden was Spratt...didn't like it much.
    I love pic monkey too..wish I had tons of money to spend on all the extras.

    Hope Hubby is doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found your blog via Crafty in Crosby when you commented. FYI Crosby is in Texas. I told Jeanette the same thing I wanna come to a pinterest party and I live not that far away for fun. LOL
    Love your blog. I'm a new follower now

    ReplyDelete
  24. good morning, I am popping over from acorn to oak-your blog is beautiful love all the colors-and to live by the sea-how awesome! I live in the woods with all the wildlife critters-our retirement home choice-they keep us entertained-lol Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great news about Steve~ whew!
    I have recently discovered PicMonkey and trying to decide whether or not to get the paid version....so do you really think it's worth it? I have Photobucket Pro and wondering if it would be worthwhile since I'm already spending money on Photobucket.

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  26. I guess I need to give PicMonkey a try. Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster. Looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I usually use Picaso but I have used PicMonkey for a few special affects. May need to use it more.
    Love your home

    ReplyDelete
  28. And I do hope your husband has a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dearest Carol,

    So beautiful beach cottage you have, the garden so beautiful too. compliment
    just visit for the first time here;)
    have a nice week

    ReplyDelete