Thursday, April 27, 2017

Love Grows Here


When I retired, my dream was to have a lovely cottage garden, but the multi-year California drought and the fact that I know nothing about gardening means that my dream garden is yet to be.


When my garden grows up, I would love for it to be this lush.


Early this morning I headed to the hills to the home of one of my dearest friends.


Wendy, (I shared her home here), is hosting a baby shower for my daughter KC on Saturday and I went to help her with the floral arrangements.


My helped consisted of snipping off the stems while Wendy created beautiful arrangements.


After lunch and before we began setting out china and silver on the tables, I grabbed my camera.


I've been busy getting our house and garden ready for a big family BBQ on Saturday night and hadn't planned on writing a blog post any time soon,


but after looking at the photos, I decided Wendy's garden needed to be shared.



I love all the statuary tucked here and there.




Wendy's favorites are the angels tucked all through the garden, 


but some have become hidden from the colorful explosion in the garden after abundant rain this winter.


 Wendy and her gardener have created a beautiful oasis for her to enjoy from both inside and outside the house.


The roses are just beginning to bloom -


isn't this rose a gorgeous color.


It's early yet and I can't wait to see the garden in May.


 It has been so windy lately and I hope the wind behaves itself on Saturday so guests can sit out in the garden for the luncheon.


As I left, I snapped a bunch of photos of the front garden -


 The variety of colors and flowers amaze me.


Just a few years ago, the front was a slopped lawn, but with the drought Wendy had the lawn removed to save water.


Yes, love grows in Wendy's garden,


 but while selecting photos for the post, I came across photos of my own garden.


 The quote, "Comparison is the thief of joy", came to mind


and I was reminded that love grows in my garden too!

29 comments:

  1. Yep ~ Wendy's garden is beautiful, but as I recall, even drought stricken, yours was enchanting too!!

    Hope you guys have a great weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it does!!!! Her garden sure doesn't look like there's a drought! How does she DO that??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always admired your garden, Carol. I think both are lovely. Each garden is a work of art and love. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful garden, makes my heart sing.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. And it takes passion to create and cultivate a garden. Oh what BEAUTY, CAROL! And I am always reminded to look into my own garden after having been inspired by others. There is always something changing and growing, dying back or surprising me...such a metaphor for life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful garden! So excited for you that your daughter is having a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh how gorgeous! What a beautiful garden. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy's garden is lovely, BUT, so is yours! Both of your gardens inspire me to keep working in mine.

    What a great quote, one to remember when the green eyed monster lurks. :-)

    Have a beautiful weekend and celebration.

    Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE that quote! Her gardens are just beautiful!!! And if she has a gardener that helps her out that helps to make it, and keep it, that way!

    Your gardens are equally lovely in their own way--maybe not as lush or large but beautiful!

    Hope you have a great weekend- thanks for taking the time to post these pictures. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy's Garden is lovely and amazing but I love your garden also. Love grows there for sure. I'm so excited for you and your daughter! A baby is a wondrous thing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like lovely team work to create the beautiful centerpieces. You have a wonderful weekend to look forward to. Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wendy's garden is so beautiful and lush. I'm glad you got the much needed winter rains to restore growth in your part of the world. The baby shower sounds wonderful and I know you will all have a lovely time. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chuckled over that quote. How apt for the subject. Be cheered with the thought that some of us look at your garden with longing! There's always someone with less talent and ability.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite thing about her garden is...all of it! Wow. I long to have a beautiful garden too but I am on a very slow journey to get there. I guess we should just enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous!!! There is nothing more to say, just absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your friend surely does have a beautiful garden, but I always thought you did, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, hers is gorgeous. But I prefer yours actually. My garden space is about to be flooded if this rain doesn't let up. My yellow rose blooms were close to opening before this deluge.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful gardens...how lovely to have the baby shower at your friends...and I love those pretty floral arrangements. And of course I love your own garden too, Carol, and you always have some wonderful original little detail that makes me smile. Have a lovely time!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is simply something magical about gardens and you've captured it with this post! I too have dreams for mine, still far from realized!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wendy's garden is stunning, but I love your also. She certainly has lots of flowers and love all the statuary that she has.

    Hope the shower went well and you didn't get blown away. It was terrible here in Fullerton.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

  21. I agree with that quote and needed this reminder! Thank you. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both gardens are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good morning Carol. Wendy's garden is gorgeous and what a great setting for your KC's baby shower. It will be so beautiful. Wishing you the best weather this weekend to enjoy that beautiful garden for the shower.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful gardens...hers AND yours! How exciting that this weekend is your daughter's baby shower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful garden post and I just loved seeing your friends garden and the statues. Your garden is always lovely to me to see. Looks like the nicest parties will be taking place.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Both your gardens are beautiful and an expression of each of you. What is that quote...“Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are.” Yep. That pretty much says it all :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's a beautiful garden and I appreciate you sharing it. BUt comparison isn't something I like. My garden is very poor if I compare it to hers... But there's love there too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yopur friends garden looks amazing it is so full of beautiful plants! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for such a wonderful mini-vacation for the mind, love every photo, what a pleasure to have visited such a magnificent garden.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete