Monday, October 14, 2013

Dinner Games


We are blessed to live in a wonderful neighborhood, on a great little lane, with amazing neighbors.


The people who live on the ocean front host parties on New Year's Eve (the dessert house on the Progressive Dinner), St. Patrick's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day.

Steve and I invited the two couples over to our house to say Thank You for graciously opening their homes to everyone so many times each year.

Steve, the super chef took care of the main dish while I was in charge of appetizers, desserts and the table.


I wanted to use red dishes on a natural linen tablecloth, but Steve wanted to use the large white bowls and I didn't want to cross the cook.


I like to mix and match my favorite colors so I alternated red checks and solid yellow napkins around the table.


You will notice that our table is TINY and that is because our entire cottage is TINY.

We do have an extension for the table, but no white tablecloth large enough for the extension so we kept the meal cozy.


A spatterware pitcher form my mother filled with yellow flowers sat in the center of the table, but was removed when we ate to make room for wine glasses.


I chose little red candles to keep the height low for conversation.


Steve made one of his specialities- paella.

I on the other hand had to cheat a little after discovering that my volleyball team had a Sunday afternoon tournament.

 I made individual caprese salads on toasted French bread for appetizers.

We all stood around the kitchen munching and watching Steve work his wonders.

Due to lack of time, I ended up buying desserts for a pastry tray with chocolate eclairs, a lemon tart, an apple tart and a mini cheesecake.

I didn't take any photos because we were all engaged in conversation from the minute our friends arrived.

We all know each other well from attending concerts, vacationing on ski trips, street parties, and numerous sunsets enjoyed together.


I thought it would be fun to create conversations on topics we don't normally discuss so I made a set of 6 questions and put one at each place setting.


Each person shared their question and we rotated around the table with everyone giving their answer to each question.


The answers were interesting to hear, but the discussions stemming from the questions were even more intriguing.


This question


was by far the funniest question because not only did everyone have a quick response to their favorite childhood meal, but they also remembered their least favorite meal too.


I had extra questions on hand, but everyone else had to work Monday morning so we saved them for another party.


A tiny cottage . . . a tiny table . . . great friends . . . great food . . .

added up to a lovely evening.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

I am sharing at

The Dedicated House - Make It Pretty Monday

Boogieboard Cottage - Masterpiece Monday

Little Red House - Mosaic Monday

Not Just A Housewife - Show Me What Ya Got

Dwellings the Heart of Your Home - Amaze Me Monday

37 comments:

  1. Oh sounds like a wonderful night with neigbors/friends. The paella looks delicious too! Love the game that you played, I bet that was fun too! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the most delightful evening!! LOVE the idea of the questions for conversation starters! I definitely have to remember that one.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I just love that wall of ivy outside your window. That is beautiful! Second, it looks like you know how to throw a great dinner party! It looks fabulous! It is wonderful that you took the time to appreciate your friends and neighbors. I think too many people take the generosity of others for granted these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and third :), I am usually too busy with dinner to take photos of it either. We have made a couple of outstanding meals this month but there was no way I was going to stop and take photos. I probably should at least try one of these days.

      Delete
  4. You hosted a nice evening of good food and conversation. A game like that is fun to play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like it was a wonderful evening! Love the questions, and my mouth was watering at the sight of that paella!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you read my post about using questions at a dinner party? We did this twice this last week and then I threw them away. When several bloggers asked me for the list of questions it was hard to reproduce them! Ah memory, where are you? Anyway, I like your questions and could definitely add them to my list! It's amazing how well you know your friends, there is always something more to learn with such questions! It looks like a wonderful place for a cozy dinner with friends! Love your table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun party and I love the idea of questions to start conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really know how to entertain; the paella looks delicious, the red candles, the questions, the desert tray.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol, your table is lovely as always and the paella looks devine. Sounds like such a lovely evening... Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you do live in a wonderful neighborhood and you are certaining a wonderful neighbor to have a beautiful dinner for your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a really fun party with fun people.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh- I wanna come-I wanna come- I wanna come to that next party. I an tell that you are a wonderful hostess. Love your table even if it is tiny-it is perfect! Happy Monday to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am terribly late for dinner my friend...is there room for me in your tiny but perfect little cottage? You live such a rich life. Blessings to you and Steve and that paella brings back yet MORE California memories...Anita

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dinner party sounded lovely. There is nothing quite so nice as the mixture of good friends & good food.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love the idea of the questions. where did you find them? did i miss that within the post. i will have to go & see. so fun! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all - I wish I was in your neighborhood! Yummy and you looked like you had the most terrific table setting. Also what is paella? And what is the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the question idea! I may have to do that for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  18. To start with the table is so beautiful and seeing all that pretty ivy outside the window makes it even better. The menu is very impressive! I bet y'all had a wonderful time with your neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your neighbors are like family. How lucky you are to live in that kind of neighborhood! Your game sounds like it was a hit and I may try it myself for my next get-together. Your table looked lovely and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like tiny......what fun you must have had. Great idea. Love the colorful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fantastic dinner party. From your table to the menu (yes, I usually do appetizers or dessert from an outside source, or better yet, ask for volunteers. Love your table, cozy is better for conversation and we have the same situation. I would love to play this trivia game...did you make up all the questions yourself? Sounds like so much fun. I have to have more parties! Love your pictures, you have such a fun take on life!!

    Xo,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea for a party, Carol. Your place looks so cute. And the paella looks amazing! Glad you have such a great neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love when you talk about your neighbors! The feeling of community is something that is not always easy to come by and you all have that! Your table is perfect with the rotating colors and your questions are so much fun! I was reading them and thinking what my answers would be!!! And by the way the food looked and sounded amazing!!! Cheers to having a lovely evening with friends! Happy week to you lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your table setting looked lovely. I just loved the daisies in the little pitcher. As I've said before, I just love your use of color. I can only imagine how wonderful it must be to live so close to the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your little table looks so cozy and pretty. The food looks wonderful. Love the idea for the conversation starters.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That cabin by the beach is too good. Can we drop in?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Carol, I think it would be a treat to dine at your charming table. I love the look of your cottage! Clever to have the conversation starters. I think I'll copy that idea.
    FYI ~ I used my beautiful white napkins and cute tags in my tablescape for this week. Life is still busy, but I'm back home and will get a package off to you this week. Enjoy your beautiful beach days. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You live in such a wonderful place with wonderful neighbours, I love reading about your idyllic lifestyle.
    The questions are a great idea, what a charming evening you must have had with your design flair and Steve's cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your table! The question idea is a good one, I'm going to remember that! Do you have pictures of your house? I bet it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I totally want to come over for dinner after reading this post! You and your hubby sound like so much fun to hang out with. I love how your home reflects that fun personality, and I am coveting that great buoy painting in your dining nook!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a fun evening! Love the coziness of the table and the questions are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It sounds like you all had a very enjoyable evening! Those questions are such a good idea; helps keep the conversation flowing and diverse.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sounds like it was a nice evening. I think I'm going to try those question cards for our Christmas dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a beautiful tablescape! Sounds like a wonderful evening spent with good friends!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  35. you are the best example of creating community.....sounds like a fun and unique evening.

    ReplyDelete