Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day Trippin'


Steve and I rarely take a vacation in the summer.

We live in paradise and with everyone else on vacation in the summer we prefer to take our getaways during my October school break and winter ski trips.

This summer we planned several day trips.

Yesterday, KC flew to Southern California for a girls' weekend in Laguna Beach.

Several weeks ago she mentioned to me that her flight was much earlier than her friends so she would work remotely in the airport while she waited for the others.

Instead, we drove down to Laguna to get some time with her and to explore one of my old favorites.

It was a blessing for KC because the others were to arrive at 11:30 a.m., but their flight did not leave San Francisco until 1:00 p.m.

This little cottage in Laguna Beach is the reason I live in a beach house today.

a screen shot from Google street view

I have always loved the beach, but my parents were not beach people.

The only time we would go to the beach would be for my mom to visit her cousin who lived in Laguna Beach.

I loved visiting Cousin Gladys in this charming little house on Wave Street, just 1 block from the beach.

Gladys had the most exquisite taste in decorating and after beach time, I would just sit and look around her house and soak in all the details.

Some of my favorite memories took place in this little cottage.

As we walked along the boardwalk, I shared Laguna stories with KC and Steve and they kindly indulged me and feigned interest.


The lifeguard tower is cute just like the rest of town.

 We stopped in at Tuvalu just to see what was there and to get some inspiration.


Steve stretches his own canvas so I have a big pile of leftover scraps that I just washed.

I think I will make a few of these pillows.


I love the heart made from bits of driftwood.

There isn't much driftwood on our beach, but if we head up to the estuary we will find a wonderful supply of bits to create this heart.

I have been into clock faces and found some great large pieces, but I really have no wall space since our home is Steve's art gallery.


This wonderful clock was about 3 feet in diameter.

And, I wish I could have gotten a better photo of this table because it was beautiful.


I was good and only bought one of these little clock face plates that came in a variety of designs.


Since the girls had still not landed, we headed up the Laguna Canyon to drop by the studio of Ken Auster.

Steve studied under Ken in Taos at Donner Ranch about 8 years ago and we have always wanted to stop in to see his studio.

Ken showed us around and then generously offered us free passes to The Festival of Art.

We parked and rode the shuttle to the festival.


After viewing some amazing art we headed to Cliff Drive.

Our timing was perfect.

We arrived at the condo overlooking the Pacific to drop KC off just as the taxi arrived filled with her friends.

And then, we had a 3 hour drive to travel the 109 miles back to Ventura.

At home, I looked at my purchases and decided where to place them.


The weight ended up on my "number" mantle.



And the clock face plate ended up in my scale vignette.



 




Day trips are the perfect way to get away without needing to pack or find a sitter for Dorje.

No more day trips for awhile.

This final week of summer vacation is "finish all projects" week.

.......................................

I am linked up at

Lavender Garden Cottage  - Cottage Style

Sunny Simple Life for Sunny Simple Sunday

14 comments:

  1. It's that time already! Hope you had a fabulously relaxing summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your day trip and your purchases. What a wonderful story about how you ended in your little cottage. My Granny lived by the sea and I have wonderful memories of being there as a child too.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I've been reading a little here at your blog, it is wonderful!! My husband's (Steve also! haha)family is all from CA. I especially like your post about living/showing love and affection. Your comment and reading your blog have made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Google screen shot is THE house your cousin lived in? That is so cool...
    Your day trip and shopping sounds fun!
    I was wondering which part of the world and near what beach you live. Now I know!
    That explains the quick answers via email late last night...Yes! I read your blog for over an hour!
    I enjoyed it! True Story!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like such a fun day. I love your buys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your aunt's cottage is great, what a nice memory. Sounds like a great day with your husband and daughter.
    Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun adventure! And fun treasure finds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great day trip. I visited Laguna Beach about 3 years ago and it was when that art festival was in full swing. What a wonderful place Laguna is. I agree with you totally that day trips are perfect, you feel like you have gotten away, yet you come home soon and feel refreshed. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A short respite from decorating to read one of my favourite bloggers,Andy and I have the week off for some major DIY, I have been painting windows all day. I love large clocks too so loved that you shared your day trip :-)
    bye for now

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy to have the pleasure of visiting your wonderful beachy post...and, it's thanks to Elaine at Sunny Simple Life.
    I grew up on the Oregon Coast and find every excuse to spend time on the beach. I have been blessed to live in San Diego and Honolulu. The seashore is my sanctuary...How I love to stroll along the water's edge!
    Thank you for your delightful blog. I look forward to visiting again and again.
    Fair weather and following seas,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful day trip! I enjoyed every minute of it! Thanks for letting me go with you. . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although I live relatively close to the beach, I wish I had a more beachy style cottage like yours or Gladys - so pretty.
    What lovely memories, and what a great day out. Love your buys Carol and your great vignettes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the weight! Seems like you wound up exactly where you should. ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete