Sunday, August 19, 2012

Accentuate The Positive


The past week was difficult for me.

I am back at school and have had little time for me, my house or my garden.

I was wallowing in self pity, when I recalled the words to the old Johnny Mercer tune

Accentuate The Positive

You've got to accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
Bring gloom down to the minimum
Have faith or pandemonium's
Liable to walk upon the scene.

A little switch from the negative to the positive made a huge difference in my attitude.

I was focusing on all of the projects I didn't complete.

But, when I started looking at what I did complete, I felt pretty good.

Yesterday, I had the time to paint my wooden cabinet


with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - Old White.


Steve says he likes how it lightens up the room.

It isn't quite finished.

I have to wax it, but I wanted the house in order because we have friends from Arizona visiting today.

I love how the  'word' knobs look on the white.




I had the same knobs when it was just dark wood, but I always felt the white knobs looked funny against the wood.

I also added a yellow stripe down the center of my red bench.


Just a little yellow stripe really peps up the bench.


I really hoped to do some rearranging in the back yard


to move this bench from the front yard.


I want to make a bench cushion for the bench and create a look like this bench I saw at American Home & Garden.


But, I ran out of time.

I can complain that I don't have time

OR

I can "Accentuate the Positive' and tell myself it will be a fun project for the quarter break in October.

With a positive attitude, we are off to dinner at a seaside restaurant with old friends who are visiting.

It doesn't get much better than this!

............................

I am linked up at
Lavender Garden Cottage - Cottage Style Linky Party

My 1929 Charmer  Sunday's Best

Sunny Simple Sunday

19 comments:

  1. My dear friend~ I ADORE YOUR POSITIVE ATTITUDE!! You accomplished so much this Summer~I wish I could say the same thing! You are so AMAZING in my book!! Have a lovely evening with good friends and THANK YOU again for mentioning our little shop!! xoxoxokathee

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has to be hard being off school for awhile and then going back. What am I saying......it was for me when I taught pre-school. Maybe once the routine gets going. Love the cabinet and you sweet home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel having to go back to school. I was a catholic school secretary for 17 years. You just get in the routine of not working when school starts again. I agree that it's a good feeling to think of the glass as half full instead of half empty. Have a wonderful school year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That white really did brighten up the space. So funny most men don't want dark wood painted. Glad yours liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly how you feel. I was just getting caught up and into a good crafting routine, and now I am back at school as well.
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to do that sometimes too.
    I call it my "busier than a backward bee" list.

    I sit down and write down ALL THAT I DID DO... and then I don't feel so bad!

    I love the cabinet painted out. Some would say "No. Don't paint it." But I say, it's just wood and it's just paint...so go for it!

    Hope you enjoyed your weekend off and your visitors.

    have a great week, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been following all you have done this summer and it seems like a lot to me. I love the white cabinet and the word knobs.

    I hope you manage to find some time to do some of the things you want. I've been so spoiled by working 12 hours shifts for so long usually just 2 days a week unless I help out in the clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the yellow stripe on the red - that really makes that piece pop. Love the sweet detail of those knobs too.

    It must be hard to switch gears from having a lot of time to having to find time to do things. I think you've accomplished a lot this summer and you'll have bigger chunks of time when you have holidays and breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your cottage! Painting your cabinet white is perfect with your new white slipcovers. It really makes the other color accessories in the room pop. Who would have thought to paint a yellow stripe on a red bench?? It really sets it off. Love it!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always seem to have projects on the go, to have your home even more homely. I love the transformation of your cupboard it looks great. Hope you are feeling more positive.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The positives - a gorgeous house, near the beach, lots of sunshine, a husband who cooks !
    Sometimes these things are hard to see as work definitely gets in the way of creative play, but at least it leads to more shopping !
    I can't stop singing your positive song now.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Carol,
    You have accomplished so much this summer..You made some slipcovers and pillows, just to mention a few things and now these painting projects. You should feel very accomplished. Love how the cabinet turned out.

    Hugs and Kisses,
    ❤Ana

    ReplyDelete
  13. All your projects are cute. I love all your colors. That's the colors I like, too.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely makeover on the cupboard and those knobs really finish it off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can relate -- I went from working 12 hrs. a week to working 38. Have to remind myself to be grateful for the work/income but it sure has cramped my 'creativity'! Not much time for projects except on weekends. LOVE the transformation on the cabinet - the word knobs really did disappear when it was dark. And the yellow stripe - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is amazing how "reversing" negative thoughts to positive can affect one's life. I've been focusing on doing this. I love the cupboard lighter (but also liked darker) so you go either way. Lighter does open up a room! From all that I have seen you up to this summer your doing good girl! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It all looks wonderful but I think the very best part is your attitude. It is truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously dude you should be get appreciate for all the hard work you have done on this post! Accentuate Premium Wordpress Template

    ReplyDelete
  19. you have gotten so many wonderful projects done---those slips were the most awesome, carol! the cabinet knobs are too cute!

    ReplyDelete