Thursday, January 11, 2018

A Happy Rug

In November, I was contacted by a representative of Sukhi, purveyors of handmade rugs, asking if I was interested in a collaboration.


I have been asked about collaborations before and in only two other cases have I accepted because I didn't think the other products were a good fit for my blog or my decorating style.


Scrolling through the Sukhi website evoked memories of my time as a Peace Corps volunteer in Jamaica when I taught school dropouts ranging from 15 to 70 years old.


Watching the video (click here) of the Sukhi team in Nepal made me wish that I had developed a similar program to help my students.


I liked what I saw and read about the company so I agreed to the collaboration and I was asked to choose my 3 favorites.


My first choice was a Berber pattern called Aicha which is made in Morroco.


My second choice was another Morrocan Berber rug in the Khadija pattern.


My third choice, and my very favorite, was a felt ball rug from Nepal in the color Jass.


In December, I was contacted to say that Sukhi would be sending me the Jass in a 80 x 100cm rug and that it would take about 4 weeks for it to be ready.


Over the last few weeks, this sweet lady was working her fingers to the bone to create my rug. 


I love that I was given her name, found her picture on the Sukhi website and was able to send an email to thank her for her hard work - got a response the same day that almost no one sends an email and that it would be translated and shared with Ram Maya Lama.


If you have visited my blog before, I am sure you are not surprised that I wanted the rug in red - it's so soft and feels great beneath bare feet.


 I am impressed with the quality of the felt balls and the sewing of the balls together - my hands would not survive the sewing of even 10 balls together.


I really would love to keep the rug in the entry because it pops against my white walls, floor and cabinet, but the clearance of the door doesn't allow it so the rug found a home in the guest room.


If you are in the market for a new rug, please check out Sukhi - not only would you get a beautiful hand made rug, but you would be helping a woman in a third world country improve her life and that of her family.


Lulu definitely thinks getting a Sukhi rug is a good idea.

...   ...   ...   ...   ...   ...   ...   ...   ...

Join me at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson for Share Your Cup

29 comments:

  1. What a lovely rug and with so much meaning. It looks like something I would love to dig my feet into ;) Glad Lulu likes it, she looks very content.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a BEAUTIFUL rug! I’m glad you have it and I love how you made it such a personal experience! No straight forward business deal for you! And of course you would choose red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Lulu has claimed it for sure! Rug is lovely and the story behind it is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, a question: the pale green frame on the wall - if you painted this, what color is the paint? I'm dying to paint something that color. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That rug is so cute, and it's perfect for your cottage! I'm so happy you got the red one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, This is so interesting. I have to say your rug is perfect. Lulu certainly thinks so too. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Carol, what a perfect rug for your home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be a purchase with a purpose. I love the rug and the color and you have represented the company so well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I can imagine how soft it must be with the puffy ball design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything about this...the rug, the color, the story of the women and the company...fabulous! And lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great story. The rug is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol I love your rug and the color you chose is so beautiful with the white backdrop. I have read about these beautiful rugs and the whole process is incredible. I'm so glad that you shared this.
    Have a HAPPY DAY! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad Lulu approves of your bright pretty rug.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Carol,
    What a great cause and this rug is perfect for your cottage. Lulu approves too. Too cute. Wow to sew all those balls together by hand is something. Cherish that beautiful rug. Your sweet artist did put so much of herself into making this. This is a wonderful cause. Hoping over there.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this kind of art! Look like Lulu has claimed it for her own. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That rug is beautiful and so perfect in your home! I will definitely check out the web site. I love that it's handmade and that the profits go to help women in need.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A perfect choice for your now ALL WHITE cottage! Lulu makes me laugh so hard; she OWNS the place! Gorgeous red!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely rug! Love that colour :) Great post from you...
    Have a happy weekend, take care.
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful rug and that lady worked so hard on it. It is truly a act of love.

    Looks like Lulu is liking the rug too. It goes so well in your beautiful cottage.

    Take care.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carol, Felt balls are so popular this year. Perfect color and texture. I see Lulu loves it too. Thanks for sharing. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How wonderful for the direct contact. Seems there are very few chances for person to person contact with people creating in other countries. This website is a wonderful inspiration. Thanks for letting us know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never seen a felt ball rug! And in red! How pretty it is.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really love the felt ball rug Carol! What an amazing company. I love that you were able to find her photo and send her an e-mail. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great story. The rug is beautiful.
    http://grsshoes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Carol,
    thank you so much for spreading the word about the work of our artisans at Sukhi. We love the fact that our values are similar, so many people with skills require a stable and regular income and influencers and customers like you help us ensure just that for more than 220 artisans across 4 countries.

    Thank you for loving Sukhi!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am glad to see your blog so nice Thanks for sharing i love this rugs
    Handmade Rugs

    ReplyDelete