Wednesday, March 8, 2017

a little adventure . . .


In January I wrote a post titled, Beading Frenzy, and I talked about a workshop I hoped to attend called Digging LA led by Kaari and Molly Meng of French General.


Well, yesterday a dear friend and I left Ventura at 6:30 a.m. to drive to Los Angeles.


14 of us including the Mengs gathered at French General for chocolate croissants and a little bit of shopping in the fun little pink shop.


I apologize in advance for the pics - I didn't want to carry my good camera so all the pics are taken with my phone and I certainly couldn't ask anyone to turn off the lights!


French General carries a wide variety of beads


and lovely notions both old and new.


I spent more time looking at the beautiful cabinets


displaying goods throughout the shop


than I did shopping.


Before I could eat one more croissant, Kaari handed us cute little totes,


showed us the enclosed map and told us to meet them in a parking garage in the flower district - of course we got lost.


And that is almost the last of my photos - many of the shops had signs saying, "No Photos".


I snapped a few shots of the United Artists Theater (it opened in 1927) on a quick tour after lunch at the adjacent Ace Hotel.


The interior is spectacular, but it was impossible to get good photos with my phone.


I didn't go home empty handed - I couldn't pass up the chipped enamel Mardi sign.


Vera of Rowhomes and Cobblestones recently mentioned that she was born on a Tuesday and I actually had to check the internet to see the day of the week of my birth - turns out it was also a Tuesday.


The fabric came already hemmed on the edges so all I have to do is hem the ends to make a table runner.


Of course now I'm sorry I didn't pick up some of that fun red, white and blue fabric or the cloth measuring tape - might just need to go back.


Or maybe I'll save for the France Getaway - anyone want to join me?

..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..  ..

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson - Share Your Cup

38 comments:

  1. Your photos show a lot of goodies and I can see you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- Wish I could join you!!! What a fun place to visit and those are good pictures- even with a cell phone. I think a lot of pictures from cell phones are almost as good today as using a camera(at least the camera I have-lol)


    Looks like you had a great time and I will wait for the next trip!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day! I'd love to join you in France! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe I used to have those very same blue and white bowls! Did yours come in a set of 3? I should never have gotten rid of those. I just didn't have room.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like so much fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, What a great adventure. I would have loved being with you. So many lovely things to see or buy. Like the blue things. :):) Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I will just say, Time well spent!
    Sometimes we need a day with friends to fill our souls with joy. Wish I was there, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fun day! Love that shop, wish I could have visited it too!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful day! I'm raising my hand high to say yes to the France Getaway! If only......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such pretty shops! Sounds like a very fund day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sure look like you had a fun day! Thanks for sharing your photos and I agree those cabinets are amazing.
    xoxo from your fellow Tuesday child!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so many lovely shops! Much to find there :)
    Have a great day, take care...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, you know I'd want to join you, in a HOT MINUTE!!!!!!! What a lovely excursion and the next time we're in L.A., I must have Ruben drive me over to French General. We MIGHT be out there in August on family matters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning Carol, oh my word, I would be so excited to join you bead shopping and material shopping. The French General certainly looks the type of shop I would have hours of fun exploring and I couldn't think of a nicer way to start the day than with a chocolate croissant and a cup of coffee.... perfect.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love shops like that! So fun to dig around in and the cupboards in there are fabulous. What a fun thing to do with a dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at chocolate croissants! I would have been looking at all the cabinets also and the decor. Beautiful. Looks like a very fun day. Love the sign, I was born on a Vendredi (Friday). I am always up for a trip to Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun day Carol. I wish I could have been along with you. Love all those sweet cabinets in the store too.
    Love your sweet sign.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH! French General! What a fun day you must have had...thank you for sharing, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved seeing this little pink shop, it was a treat. Your photos look fine and whoo hoo if you are going to France.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, it must have been a fun day... And now that I think about it, I have no idea what day of the week I was born...

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fun. Love all the eye candy. Your little french sign is adorable. Sounds like a perfect day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to visit French General! I have one of their books. What a wonderful field trip! I love the little Mardi sign. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun trip!! Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun trip!! Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like you had a wonderful time on your adventure. I should go and visit the French General.

    Enjoy our beautiful warm weather.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hah! You aren't going anywhere this summer...Are you? But it would be an awesome trip! Sounds like it was a great day in L.A. that green thread cabinet (?) Is dreamy, btw

    ReplyDelete
  27. That theater is something else! Now that I'm older, I'm sorry that I didn't appreciate all those beautiful buildings when I grew up in LA. I'm so glad though that a lot of them are being preserved.

    I'm glad you had fun on your adventure :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well, for the France getaway, I'm in!! My sil did it a couple years ago and said it was fabulous! She went with one of her North Carolina friends. I didn't know F.G. had beads, but I love their fabric. I have one small quilt made from them. I agree with you about the cabinets. That first one made my heart skip a beat. :) Love the sweet sign, and now you've got me wondering what day of the week it was when I was born? Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful trip to French General Carol! I would love to browse there too...and see inside all those gorgeous cabinets! Your sign and fabric look lovely. Have a great weekend.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  30. That looks fun. I've never been to L.A. I am however, going to France in September. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a fun little day trip! I can see why you got caught up looking at the cabinets in the shop...so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That little trip sounds like so much fun. Lovely things to see.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love trips like this!! Thanks for taking us along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love those kinds of getaways. I felt as though I was there with you - thanks for such a fun tour!

    ReplyDelete

  35. Beautiful images! I hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  36. The French General really does look like your type of shop. Your outing sounds so much fun! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete