Sunday, September 25, 2016

Sea Spray


A few weeks ago, I saw a blog post about a paint additive called Sea Spray and thought I would like to try it out.


I could not find a distributor in my area so I got brave and emailed Dixie Belle Paint Company and asked them if they would send me some Sea Spray to try out.


Not only did they offer to send me the Sea Spray,


they told me to select 2 colors of paint to use with the Sea Spray.


That sounded like an easy task until I looked at all the fun colors on their website.


 I chose Barn Red and Fluff with this old bench in mind.


One of the benefits of the Dixie Belle paints is that you don't need to prep the surface of what you're painting so all I did was wipe down the bench.


I poured a bit of the red paint in a can and mixed in a bit of the powder until I thought I had the right consistency.

Tutorial 

I determined the right consistency by watching this YouTube video.


The first coat of paint, with the additive is "gloppy".


The old me would stop right here with the red bench, but I'm leaning toward white with color accents these days so, this is just the bench after the Sea Spray and paint combo.


You can see here that the bench is still gloppy after the second coat is applied.


I used our electric palm sander to bring out the color of the under coat.


And here's the finished bench sitting in the garden.


So, what's my verdict about Dixie Belle Paint and Sea Spray?


The paint and the additive were easy to mix & apply, the clean up was quick and there are lots of fun colors - I will definitely use the products again.


But next time, I will use white as the undercoat like I did on this table and the stool below which were painted with a different paint and additive.


Thanks Dixie Belle Paint Company for exposing me to your fun products.


Check out Dixie Belle Paint Company here.


Check out #dixiebellepaint to see projects people have shared on Instagram.

30 comments:

  1. Oh, now that came out perfect! So can you tell me, which do you prefer:

    Annie Sloan
    Dixie Belle
    or the salt mix you used a few posts ago?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet! I love the final look (but I love that blue bench the best!!)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post, Carol! Your paint effects look great and I love to hear about new products.
    Happy week!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your painted furniture and the old worn look.
    Your pieces have so much personality and charm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bench looks great and the paint looks easy to use!! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol,

    I just LOVE your bench! It really does look perfectly worn and chippy, great job!! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty Carol. Love this treatment and the colors you chose. Anything worn and chippy looking is awesome. You achieved it with this bench.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool. I love the way the bench turned out. That aged look gets me every time. The other pieces are pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks great! It must be fun experimenting with all these different products. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bench turned out chippy looky for sure! I like that you used an undercoat first. I need to remember to do that when I paint my bench.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "GLOPPY" sounds fun..reminds me of finger painting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your experience with the paint. Your project turned out well. I have never heard of that brand of paint. I am curious if we have it locally too. I'm headed to their website now!
    Blessings from Lynda at Still Woods Farmhouse

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the red and white together. Of course we now want to know which one you liked better. Looks like they produce a similar result. It is cute in the garden. I'm going to have to check back on how this finish is holding up to the weather. I'm thinking of doing an Adirondack chair next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the red and white together. Of course we now want to know which one you liked better. Looks like they produce a similar result. It is cute in the garden. I'm going to have to check back on how this finish is holding up to the weather. I'm thinking of doing an Adirondack chair next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like it both ways, the white as a base and the color as a base. Your bench came out great. I did two items with the Salt Wash and love how they look. It was so easy to do too. The colors at Dixie Belle are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carol, I thought the way the bench turned out...it match the coverlet on the lounge chaise. Looked cute. I thought the Dixie Bell Paint co. was so very nice to give you a sample and some paint. :) BLessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting new paint product! So after you painted the bench red, what did you then use to get the bench white - their paint or some kind of your own paint? Sorry, I was a bit confused. I like the look of white furniture with a color underneath peeking out. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful finish! I think we all need some of that! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Turned out AWESOME!!!!! Thank you for sharing and it looks perfect in your seaside garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are back in Greece where I have the time and need for such project but finding such craft materials is a challenge. I will just enjoy yours, I guess. And I do love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carol,
    You're having too much fun - nice of the company to send you some product.
    xoxo,
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a great company and very generous as well. I used a very similar product on my potting bench. My dil picked it up for me. It was in a packet like that, but I don't think that was the name of the company. Love how the bench turned out!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how the bench turned out. I'm not sure how often I would paint something to make it gloppy, though. It would have to be the right piece. Yours is great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. All your projects turned out great! I'm really loving benches and stools these days! I'm also leaning towards more neautrals with pops of colors here and there. Thanks for introducing us to this product. Always open to trying new things.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh god, they looked really lovely! Love the final work !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I love how the red shows up under the white! And thanks to you I learnt the word "gloppy"!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like the red and white combo. The products look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think your bench looks fabulous, Carol! Love the colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this look! I am always inspired my your lovely cottage & garden, Carol! Blessings, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like your blog a lot. Its informative and full of information. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete